Tahsis, British Columbia
The first Tahsis mill was built by the Gibson Brothers in 1945. It burned down in 1948, but in January 1949, Gibson Mills and East Asiatic Company formed a partnership (Tahsis COmpany) and by April a new mill was back in Production. Today the mill is owned by Canadian Pacific Forest Products.
Tahsis remained a company town until it was incorporated as a municipality in 1970. A road connecting Tahsis with Gold River was completed in 1972. Until that time the town was accessible only by boat or aircraft.
In Tahsis’s heyday the population was roughly 2,500. With the closure and dismantling of the mill the population declined to according to the 2001 census, 892.